Before I ask my question, I just want to say thanks for having years and years of helpful material out here. What an awesome resource. Hopefully someday I'll know something of value and can begin contributing the the RCC Encyclopedia.
I am a big fan of the search feature and my question is because I am encountering something I did not see any mention of in all the posts about this part/issue.
I've been to Napa, Carquest, Checker and Autozone. The OPSwitch in all cases is too big and will not fit. The bell is too fat. There is this protrusion on the block near where this switch is situated. Since the new parts I've tried are about 1/8 inch fatter in diameter than the one I'm removing, it interferes with my ability to line it up and get the threads to bite and I don't want to force it for obvious reasons. The diameter and threadpitch of the stud that threads into the port on the block are correct. It is the diameter of the bell itself.
Has anyone else had this problem? I have noticed that at all parts stores... including the dealer, there has been a parts number change for this unit.
Again, I try to not ask questions because I figure they have been asked already and all I need to do is search. Most of the time that works. Any help would be appreciated.
The real issue is that I'm reading low to no oil pressure. This is a new phenomenon. I just replaced my valve cover gaskets to stop some leaks. This started about 1 week after that job was completed. I am still not sure if issue is with the switch, the connector/wire, the gauge or really something with the motor or oil pump. Truck runs/sounds fine... but not driving it anymore until this is resolved.
Right now, I am just going through the steps to triage the problem.
- tested gauge using ground method as mentioned on this board - checked okay
- was just going to replace switch ... and thus my question above
- tomorrow - going to locate oil pressure test gauge and get real reading on pressure - be stupid not to at this point (940000 miles)
- I do feel the connector is kind of loose when fastened to the post on the switch... doesn't have that firm click I'm used to sensing when you push those sort of connectors on
- If the pressure test checks out okay then it has to be either the switch or the connector. Before I hack into the wiring harness to replace the connector, I figured I would replace the switch 1st... but I'm having trouble finding one that fits... and thus my dilemma.